Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Maine!


As I sit here in Monson, Maine, I'm only 109 miles from the base of Mount Katahdin and 114 miles from completing the Appalachian Trail. My body has fallen to bits, my hiking partner's body and pack are falling to bits, but we're still moving. This is the last stop before the end of the trail and we will start what they call the "100-Mile Wilderness" tomorrow. Everyone is tired, excited and still loving the trail, but the overall consensus is that it's time to end this trip, this hike. Who knew I would actually make it this far ... and without blue-blazing (taking shortcuts), yellow-blazing (hitch hiking), or even slack packing (leaving most of your gear at a hostel and taking only day snacks and being picked up to go back to the hostel that night so you don't have to carry a full pack). Jogle and I aren't called "white blaze kissers" for nothing.

The first half of Maine lived up to it's reputation of being the toughest part of the trail. Starting out in the rain was tough, but the skies cleared and blessed us with 6 days of sunshine to get to where we are now ... just that little 114 from the end. It seems that most people hit their lowest point during that stretch - it's the definition of so close, yet so far away. We made it here in what may not feel like one piece, but in one piece nevertheless.

Like I said ... we leave tomorrow to finish this trail. Seven days through the wilderness and then one day to summit (it's a 4100-foot climb to the end). If all goes well, then we will summit Katahdin on October 1st, which happens to be my hiking partner's (Jogle's) birthday - what a present! Wish us luck and I'll put up another post when this trail is finished.

I've been able to post about 30 photos in the 6 posts below!

4 comments:

TTCoe said...

You go girl - I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I have so loved your journey, Becca. I have enjoyed your successes and conquests, your perserverance, your struggles. I have loved the views, the stories, the seasons. Blessings for this final, challenging stretch. You're doing it!!! Wake up and WALK girl! When you finish we'll make another fun video of your northern experience...

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I am so proud of you but I am also sooooo ready for you to come home:) I miss our talks...Lizzie and Sanders miss their Aunt Bec!
Love you and hope to talk to you soon. Liz, Lizzie, and Sanders

Anonymous said...

You really are awesome!! I never doubted you would finish this journey, but I am relieved to see that you still have some joy about it and haven't been totally beaten up by the trail. I can't wait to see you, and see what you do next. Thanks for taking the time to post all of those amazing pictures - you were not kidding about that bear!
-Tara